Construction, renovation and maintenance works on campus and in University buildings takes place all the time and these works range from small projects employing a few workers to large scale projects employing hundreds of workers.
This type of work is identified as being high risk. Precautions and planning need to be considered in detail to ensure the contractors are not harmed either by the materials and substances that they may come across on campus or by their own activities. Equally the contractors' activities should not jeopardize the health and safety of members of the University Community.
The University has recognized this special area of concern and has, accordingly, appointed a Senior Manager (Construction & Event Safety) working for the Safety Office but who works hand in hand with staff of the Estates Office.
The role of the Senior Manager (Construction & Event Safety) is:
- To help Estates Office maintain an effective safety management system for their operation and activities in line with the Safety Management Regulations requirements.
- To comment and approve construction safety submissions provided by Estates Office and other HKU units in line with statutory safety requirements before commencement of the corresponding project.
- To carry out safety inspections on construction projects under Estates Office and other HKU units and make advices or recommendations on improvement.
- To investigate related accidents or incidents to find out their cause(s) and make recommendations for minimizing or even eliminating reoccurrence of similar cases.
- To comment and endorse event submissions provided by Registry, Cedars and other HKU units in line with statutory safety requirements before commencement of the corresponding event.
- To carry out safety inspections on events under Cedars, Registry and other HKU units and make advices or recommendations on improvement.
- To provide or organize training(s) or workshop(s) to the relevant HKU stakeholders to continually upgrade or refresh their safety knowledge if appropriate.
For detailed information on Construction Safety, please check out the Construction Safety section of the Safety Manual.
You can contact the Senior Manager (Construction & Event Safety), Mr. C.P. Wong at 2241 5072 or email him on firstname.lastname@example.org.